Tuesday, February 4, 2014
Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Saturday, January 25, 2014
(Thanks to CDToolpusher)
What Every Man Should Have
1. A handkerchief you carry.
2. A quality flashlight.
3. A pocket knife.
4. A set of jumper cables.
5. A toolbox that is filled with the necessities and is functional.
6. A rifle, a shotgun, and a pistol with which you are intimately familiar.
7. A working knowledge of compasses, maps and topography.
8. Rope and a tarp, because someday you might need them.
9. Books on your nightstand.
10. A hobby. A real hobby. Something which energizes you and makes your heart race. Your hobby should add to your life and give you character. Oh, and be able to school anyone about your hobby without using the internet.
11. Honor and Respect. Honor your word. Respect those who deserve it.
12. A family. Make it one that is eager for and deserving of you.*
13. A sense of direction. You know that little voice you choose to ignore? Stop ignoring it.
14. Scars. Tattoos aren’t scars. Scars are your personal reminder of where you’ve been, what you’ve done, and what you’ve learned.**
15. Progeny. You’ve lived life. Pass it on.
16. Faith. Be it a faith in God or something else, cling to it fiercely. Focus on life and remain reliant on this faith. Know what you believe and why you believe it.
17. The ability to know when to laugh, particularly at yourself. Life is not always about being serious. Life won’t take you seriously so don’t give it the satisfaction.
*”Family” does not necessarily indicate blood relation.
**All scars are not physical.
Read more at http://theblacksphere.net/2014/01/real-mans-list-necessities/#oqPVUMAcyphcRQSz.99
Saturday, December 28, 2013
This is a 2 year old story but it's news to me and yet familiar; a study of music's effects on the brain done at McGill. The study reported that our brain releases dopamine when hearing pleasurable music. They say it's the first time anyone's found dopamine release in response to an aesthetic (not life critical) stimulus.
Music has always helped me relax. We all should turn off the tube and computer and chill with music more often.